Sunday 29 June 2008

PS3 not working - so called 'red light of death'

Yesterday we had some friends round for a reunion, people that Ale knew from a year long course she had taken with them. The scene was set since I had blown them out previously as I was cheering on Arsenal in the Champions League.

About half an hour before they turned up, my beloved PS3 bit the dust. Not as dead as the proverbial dodo, but still pretty terminal. It just switched off with 4 beeps and a flashing red light. After Googling some forum posts, it suggested it may have been heat-related but delving deeper, it quickly became apparent that it was some sort of hardware failure. Switch it on, and it starts up the fans - then a green light for a second or so, and then rather quickly followed by an amber light, then red with 4 short beeps.

Looks like I'll have to eat my words of criticism at the bearded geek in the local computer games shop and see what he can do. Some of the people last night were, shall we say 'disappointed', but one of them knows about a Sony repair centre somewhere near Boulevard Artigas so I guess we can also try that option tomorrow.

Gutted - that's all I can say. I'm sure it's completely coincidental and nothing to do with the numerous power cuts we have here in Montevideo - and the subsequent surge/spike when it comes back on. I think I'll be buying a surge protector 4 gang socket as a priority ;-)

Sad Johnnyboy.

No comments: